Latest Technology...

, , No Comments

Track Beijing Olympics Medal Count Using Windows Vista Sidebar Gadget

It’s Olympics fever all over and at Tech Dreams we have been covering lot of interesting stories related to Olympics 2008.

Here is another another article related to Olympics. LiveGadget.net has just released a cool Windows Vista Sidebar gadget that helps you to keep track of Olympic Medal wins from the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
I’m not a big fan of Windows Vista sidebar, but just to keep track of the Medals count, I enabled it. The sidebar widget is pretty cool. It shows the top 5 countries that are in the medals race and on clicking the country links it redirects to official Olympics results page.
Download the Olympic Medal Count Vista Sidebar Gadget.

Sony Introduces New Bravia Series

Sony India on Thursday launched the Bravia series, the LCD television range,
which boasts high quality images with powerful side speakers. Available in three
models, the Series T models are designed especially for the Indian market, after
a consumer research undertaken last year. The price ranges from Rs. 17,900 to Rs.
29,900.

Convert Youtube Videos Online

Vixy.net is new web online tool which helps you to convert Online Video or youtube video with some simple steps. No need to install and confugure the software. This service allows you convert a Flash Video / FLV file (YouTube’s videos,etc) to MPEG4 (AVI/MOV/MP4/MP3/3GP) file online.

This service allows you convert a Flash Video / FLV file (YouTube's videos,etc) to MPEG4 (AVI/MOV/MP4/MP3/3GP) file online. It is using a compressed domain transcoder technology (outline in Japanese). It converts FLV to MPEG4 faster and less lossy than a typical transcoder.
When you submit a URL, it will download and convert to the video format, and then you can download the converted file.
FLV to MPEG4 Conveter engine is now OpenSource. You can download the source code via subversion: http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=183657
For Windows users: Please install DivX to play DivX AVI

Vixy.net Converter Desktop Version (BETA):

For your desktop version is available now. It looks like this site and the usage is almost same as this site. It's free but with Ads. It's still in BETA release so it will expire at Sep/30/2008.
  • Download Installer for Windows (Xp, Vista)
    Version 0.6 Jul/01/2008
    (If you use Xp, please install .NET Framework 2.0.)
  • Download App for MacOSX (10.4, 10.5) Intel / PPC
    Version 0.3 Jul/01/2008
    To install the app, please open dmg file and copy the app to your "Application" folder. The converted file will be in your "Movie" folder. (You can change the output folder from "Preference" Menu.)

iPhone 3G Indian price

Yes after a long wait the pricing for iPhone 3G in India has been out. Its officially going to Rs. 31,000 for 8GB version and Rs36,000 or Rs. 37,000 for 16GB. So I guess all those people waiting for iPhone for Rs. 8,000 should start saving a hell lot of money now because its not going to be enough. I was thinking that it might be around Rs. 24,000 or something but I am not shocked by this figure at all. If I am correct Deep had said this might be the price some days back on twitter which had made me ready for the impact. So iPhone is competing with Nokia E90,HTC P 3650 (Cruise), HTC TYTN II, O2 XDA Atom Exec, BlackBerry 8820 and Nokia N93. All of these phones are high end phones and nearly all are business phones except Nokia N93 which means iPhone has been placed as a luxury item and nothing else. That means its only for those people whose bank balance is bigger than their bank itself, thats how normally Apple products are priced anyways. Not that I am bashing iPhone or anything but the price is exorbitantly high for a phone like iPhone. Lets hope they will reduce the price sometime in far away future.

14 Firefox Addons for All Internet Users

Here am Posting the 14 Firefox addons which are useful to anyone who uses the Web. These extensions make surfing the net, reading email, bookmarking links, and talking to friends easier. Here are the Lists:

Music Addons

1. FoxyTunes
If you listen to music while you surf, you might find FoxyTunes useful. It embeds audio player controls (play, pause, etc) into Firefox. It can be in the status bar or a toolbar.
Supported media players include iTunes, Pandora, Windows Media, Winamp, and lots more.
2. TwittyTunes
Quickly post what you’re listening to (or watching) on Twitter. (Also see TwitterFox for more general purpose Twitter updates.)

Webmail Addons

3. Better Gmail 2
This addon is a compilation of a bunch of Greasemonkey (required) scripts that enhance Gmail. Among the upgrades:
For the full list of features and screenshots, visit the Better Gmail homepage at Lifehacker.
4. Gmail Manager
Lets you manage multiple Gmail accounts at the same time. You’re logged into multiple accounts, and get updates via the a new dropdown added to your navigation bar.
5. Yahoo Mail Notifier
If you just want to know when you get new Yahoo mail without all the other features of the Yahoo Toolbar, this addon is for you. It places a small icon in the status bar with the number of new unread messages in your inbox.

Social Networking

6. LinkedIn Companion
Integrates with your webmail (eg., Gmail, Yahoo) and adds a button you can click next to contacts with LinkedIn profiles. Adds a dropdown menu of things you can do with LinkedIn — search jobs, search profiles, add a connection, etc. Useful for people who use LinkedIn extensively for business networking.
7. Facebook Toolbar
Always be on Facebook, literally, by embedding it into your Firefox! This toolbar lets you search Facebook, pop open a sidebar and quickly connect with friends, and get notifications while you surf. With the toolbar, you don’t have to periodically check back in at the Facebook website because you’ll always be connectecd.

Surf the Web

8. Fire Gestures
With this extension, you can use your mouse for much more than clicking. For example, by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse to the left a bit, Firefox will go to the previous page as if you had clicked the Back button.
9. GooglePreviewAdds a thumbnail preview next to the Google search results page.
Being a visually oriented person who spends a lot of time at Google, this addon is one of my favorites. I like seeing what the linked website looks like before I click through.

Bookmarking

10. Del.icio.us
Del.icio.us is the original social bookmarking service. It lets you bookmark links and organize them by tags. Because it’s a Web based service, all your bookmarks sync up on all your computers. The del.icio.us addon provides buttons to quickly bookmark and tag a webpage, and displays the last few links you’ve bookmarked.
11. Foxmarks
Foxmarks synchronizes your Firefox bookmarks across all the computers you use. Bookmarks are synced via a central location at my.foxmarks.com.
12. Fast Dial
Creates a page with thumbnail links to your top 15 bookmarks. Links are assigned to numbers, so you can also use the keyboard shortcut ALT- to quickly jump to one of your fast dial websites.

Block Online Advertising

13. Adblock Plus
Block banner ads from being displayed. The killer feature of this addon is the subscription list.
When you install Adblock Plus, you are asked if you want to subscribe to a list of ad servers to be blocked. Choose Yes. The list is maintained by someone else, so by doing nothing other than installing this extension, you’ve eliminated 90% of Web advertising that you used to see.

Other Extensions

14. Greasemonkey
Greasemonkey allows users to customize how webpages are displayed (on their own computers) using small bits of JavaScript. If you’re a programmer, you can write your own bits of code and share it with the world at userscripts.org.
Installing Greasemonkey alone won’t do anything. You’ll need to install another addon that uses Greasemonkey to provide new features. Here are all extensions that require Greasemonkey. A few good ones are Better Gmail 2, Better Flickr, Better YouTube, and Better GReader.


Near Future Buying List

  1. A Mobile - I guess you might have read how I have been looking for a mobile without camera but failed in all of my attempts. My choice was Nokia E51 camera free variant but apparently Nokia thinks Indians are not worth it so didnt introduce it here. But after seeing Nokia E71 I feel like getting myself one but only if it comes without camera. So thinking of getting a Nokia E51 without camera if nokia introduces it in Indian market or Nokia E71 without camera if they ever actually make it. I guess I dont mind getting even by the end of these 2 years. This should set me back by around Rs. 17,000($400).
  2. A Playstation 2 - I guess you must be wondering why a Playstation 2 when the PS3 is already in the market. My reasoning is quite simple. I dont think I will be getting a HDTV anytime soon and wont be buying a Blu-Ray movie anytime soon either. And the support for PS2 aint going to die out that soon. I am getting it by this month end if my dad doesnt create a fuss about it. It would cost me around Rs. 7,000($166).
  3. An Internal Hard Disk - I have around 120 GB at present in my computer but this space isn’t enough for me. It has deterred me from installing Vista and Ubuntu. Not that I miss Vista, just wanted it to be there. And also my music collection has suddenly started growing making it difficult for me to keep all of them. So, I will buy a 1TB Internal Western Digital HDD by the end of this year or by mid 2009. As far as I know it will cost me around Rs. 9,300($221).
  4. A Pen Tablet - Ever since I learned that I can draw I have thought of combining it with my love for computers and after I saw Goobimama’s new pen tablet I just had to have that. But maybe it was the price that had been putting me off. And I had made sure I will buy the Medium size Wacom Bamboo Fun. I have no idea when I will buy this but it has to be under these two years so I listed it here. It should cost me around Rs. 9,200($219).
  5. A Prosumer Camera - I have a Canon PowerShot A450 as of now. My main problem with it is that most of the pictures come out saturated and also the macro feature isnt that great. Then the sad fact of low optical zoom. It was then I came to know about cameras similar to DSLRs but like point and shoot cameras. They have High optical zoom(sometimes 15x) and many manual features. It was something I had been looking for in a camera. So with the help of Aalaap, I have come down to two options. Sony DSC-H50 and Sony DSCH-10 and I would be buying one of these by end of next year or so. The maximum I will have to pay for it will be around Rs. 17,000($400).
  6. Dumbbells - This is one of those weird things I was talking about. I have recently became a bit of more careful about my health and physique so thought why not get dumbbell for myself. After using my cousins 5 Kg dumbbell made me realise its too light for me, so decided to get myself a 8Kg. I will be getting this by this month end too. It will drain Rs. 1300($30).
I hope to buy all this stuff in these two years time. Just for the heck of it the total cost of all these products comes to Rs. 60800($1436). I guess I will have to really work hard to get that much of money.

0 comments: